Saturday, June 12, 2010

Week of 25 July 1927

Monday, 25 July 1927

Edwardstone House - Oakhurst, Bethersden, Kent

Pippa and I started at 12.30 pm in the car and motored to Oakhurst, Bethersden. 101 miles. We had a puncture at Brentwood - changed wheels and had a repair en route to Tilbury.

Arrived at Oakhurst about 6.30 pm. Stopped on the road to have our lunch and a later meal. Cosh and Ursula went with us to Hayfield where Trotty was. She was busy catching mice and failed to recognise us.

Cosh and I walked round the garden after dinner.

Tuesday, 26 July

Bethersden - Edwardstone House

Pippa and I started about 8.30 in car with Trotty who barked a lot at first but quieted down soon. We had a quick run to Gravesend - and caught ferry at once - got home about 12.30 pm.

Polly, Bet, Anne and Mrs Gant went to Ipswich in the car in the afternoon. I worked at cutting nettles.

Wednesday, 27 July

Edwardstone House

I went up to London to attend a Committee Meeting of the Regt Guards ?? and History at the Horse Guards at 2.30 pm. Caught the 8.30 train to Marks Tey and took and Excursion Ticket through to Liverpool St. Cashed a cheque at Cox's - went to Barkers, High Street Kensington and then to Harrods to get various things.

At the Committee Meeting: Lt General Sir Trevor Clark, Col. Graydmill?, Brig. Gen. Foot, Lt Colonel Ridings, Major Moxery?. Had to leave before the end and just caught the 4.58 train and Pippa met me with car at Colchester. Nurse Calloway from Hollings? had arrived earlier - met by Polly.

Thursday, 28 July

Work in garden and some odd jobs. Polly took Nurse Calloway for a drive to Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds, Lavenham, etc.

Played tennis with Wilma in evening - first time in two years! Wilma biked to Colchester and back by herself this afternoon.

Friday, 29 July

The Powells came from Nayland where they have taken rooms to fetch Adams bike and to see the house and garden.

After lunch Polly drove Nurse Calloway, P, B and A to Ipswich for treatment by Mrs Harris of Anne's feet.

Wilma and I biked to Edwardstone Vicarage to see Rev Brown about.........

The silver and pitch arrived from the bank today.

Saturday, 30 July

Polly drove Nurse Calloway to the station at Colchester and met Eve and Negley Farson and brought them back before lunch time. In afternoon tennis - I hoed cabbages. After tea I drove to Sudbury with Betty and Negley and Betty saw the doctor (Rix) who looked at her knee.

Sunday, 31 July

Polly, Anne, Wilma and I to church at Edwardstone in morning. Major Litterson and Mrs Litterson came out from Colchester in afternoon and stayed to tea on the lawn by the mulberry tree. We picked the last of the strawberries and I removed the nets and the wire netting. Much lawn tennis played and tenniquoit as well. Eve played a great deal and Negley served but could not ....? as his ? is in plaster of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment