Monday, May 17, 2010

Week of 16 May 1927

Monday 16 May

East Bergholt

Kenny rang up to tell us us that Kitty had breathed her last at 7.30 this morning. We motored over to Freston. The funeral will be at Freston churchyard at 2.30 pm on Thursday next, 19th May. I arranged to write to some of the family and friends.

The end was quite peaceful - consciousness not regained at all after the morphine had been given. This no doubt saved her a great deal of pain.

Tuesday, 17 May

We all went to Ipswich in the afternoon and left P and B there to come back by bus. We went on to Freston and saw Leslie and Kenny and while we were there Reggie and Norah arrived in their car from Newcastle on Tyne.

Back to tea and Polly and I went for a walk in the evening.

Wednesday, 18 May

Reggie Fryer rang us up to say that he had persuaded Leslie to come over to us and go over to see Edwardstone House with us to get his father occupied and out of the house.

They arrived about 3 pm and went off with us in our car; went over the house and garden and stayed to tea with us on our return to East Bergholt.

Thursday, 19 May

Kitty's funeral at Freston Church. Polly and I went to the funeral which was at 2.30. The service was very simple and impressive: XXIII Psalm - Hymns: Oh God our Help in Ages Past and Peace Perfect Peace. The Vicar, the Rev. ??, took the service. Many relations and friends there. The grave at the S.W. corner of the church, near the tower.

Jim Hessey lunched with us and went on in our car with us - left after an early tea.

There was a beautiful prayer written by Wilberforce.

Friday, 20 May

We, i.e. Polly, P and B and I, motored to Colchester railway station to meet a representative of the Austin Lighting Company. He had brought a colleague to estimate for the wiring. We then went to Edwardstone House and they went carefully over the whole of it. We left them at "The Fleece" inn to prepare estimates while we lunched at the ?? a mile or two away. When we returned we had a discussion and finally accepted their estimate.

Later. We then put them down at Colchester station and drove back to East Bergholt. After tea a lot of letter writing. Kenny told Polly on the phone that he was allowed by his employers to remain in England till 28th May. He and Leslie were off to Bethersden this morning to stay with Cosh and Ursula to Monday next.

Saturday, 21 May

East Bergholt - Horning Ferry

We left in the car (Polly, P and B and I) about 10.30 am. Did some jobs in Ipswich and then on to Melton where we all visited Miss Bird at the School House. Stopped at roadside near Yoxford for lunch and at Acle for tea - finally decided to stop at the Ferry Inn, Horning, for the night.

We all went off walking before supper. Polly and I walked to Ranworth Broad.

Sunday, 22 May

Horning (Norfolk) - Sutton Bridge (Lincs)

We got up late and motored through Wroxham, Cottishall, Mundesley to Cromer where we lunched - then to Sheringham where Polly looked at a Bonus ?? House for Gran!!. Then stopped at Salthouse, Blakeney, Wells, Burnham Overy and Brancaster where we had tea. Then on to Hunstanton - got out and looked at this - then on through Kings Lynn to Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire where we stopped for the night. We took a walk down the bank of the river Nene before supper.

Salthouse, Blakeney, Wells and Burnham are very charming with much sand.

102 Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment